Monday 12 September 2011

Honey Drizzle

I am a good cook but I am not such a good baker. For Christmas, my sister bought me a baking book with a lot of lovely recipe's in. The weekend just gone my father had lots of friends over for a BBQ. For this event I decided I would try bake something new. I attempted Honey Drizzle cakes and they were such a success!

Makes 12;

3oz self raising flour
3oz caster sugar
6tbsp Butter
rinely grated rind of 1 orange
2 eggs
(The original recipe recommends adding a pinch of ground cloves too, but I didn't have or want them)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of grated nutmeg
1 tbsp honey
Brazil nuts, chopped. (The original recipe said walnuts but I hate them, tasted just as good (better!) with brazil nuts)

Topping;
Brazil nuts, chopped
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp honey
juice of one orange

Sift flour, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl.
Pu the butter and sugar in a seperate bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
Beat in the honey and orange rind, then gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
Using a metal spoon fold in the flour mixture.
Stir in the brazil nuts, then spoon the mixture into cases.

Bake the cupcakes in a preheated oven - 190 degrees, for 20 minutes or until well risen and golden brown

To make the topping, mix together the brazil nuts and cinnamon.
Put the honey and orange juice in a pan and heat gently stirring until combined.
When the cupcakes have almost cooled, prick the tops all over with a fork or skerwer and then drizzle with the warm honey mixture. Sprinkle a little of the brazil nut mixture over the top of each cupcake and serve.


I was skeptical about the cakes tasting good with the honey and orange, everyone knows that honey and lemon compliment each other the best! So I made two batches, one with orange and one with lemon. The lemon ones were tastey, but the orange ones just had something better in my opinion. The guests did prefer the lemon as they had an extra kick, and I would make both batches again, but the orange was my personal favourite. Oh and I do recommend adding some sugar into the topping mixture if you're going to make some lemon ones.

Hope you enjoy as much as I did!




No comments:

Post a Comment