Sunday 22 April 2012

HomeMade MeatBalls

I have never made my own meatballs before, but I read a recipe before I went to my sisters the other week and just wanted to try it out! I remembered it spot on for some reason, but google'd a recipe in case. Here's the basis we used;



For the meatballs



  • 2 tablespoons of garlic powder
  • 900g/2lb freshly minced beef
  • 2 tbsp freshly chopped herbs, such as basil or oregano
  • 2 free-range eggs, beaten
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
    2 slices of brown bread (soaked in milk)



For the tomato sauce



  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 110g/4oz onion, sliced
    2 tablespoons of tomato puree
  • 2 tablespoons of garlic powder and 1 tbsp of garlic puree
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 x 400g/14oz cans tomatoes


to make the meatballs just combine all the ingredients, I used my hands and just got messy!  I put them on a plate - not touching and rested them in the fridge for 10 minutes whilst I made the sauce. 

Next, onto the sauce. Fry off the onions, add the garlic powder.


Add the tomato's, tomato puree and garlic puree, season. Add the sugar if it's too sour - your choice though!
Leave to simmer and reduce
Start to fry off the meatballs - keep the heat low because you don't want to move them too much else they'll fall apart. 


Don't forget to put your pasta on! I usually do.

Check they're cooked through by cutting into the biggest one, then add the sauce if they're done.

Serve up and enjoy!

We also add cheese (pasta, cheese, meatball/sauce, cheese)


Have you ever made meatballs? I can't believe how easy it was to do! and pretty fast, this was all under an hour.

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious!! Following you on bloglovin, come visit my site!

    Heather xx
    maybecommon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete