Wednesday 20 March 2013

Whether I sink or swim, it's you I'm thinking of

I realised this morning how lucky I am to have the life I do. I couldn't decide what I wanted for breakfast. Whether I want to make a fruit salad, to scramble some eggs, have a hot cross bun, make some toast or a bowl of porridge. and what did I want to go with it? tea? coffee? earl grey? fresh juice? water?

I suppose I thought about this more because I'm not at uni anymore, and I actually do have options at home. But even when I'm struggling along at uni, I have enough food to eat, and there are lots of people out there who don't. I'm not actually going anywhere with this, I don't have some great scheme to be a part of and I don't have a charity I want to push, I just thought about it for a bit too long and had to get it out of my head.

Instead today I will bring you a recipe for rice pudding! My friend Kate told me she was making some at about half seven last night and I knew I had the ingredients so I just had to make some too. I'm the worst for sharing recipes, as I never use measurements, but I will try! It is using arborio risotto rice, milk, water, salt, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon.

Put a good dollop of butter - perhaps over a table spoon- in a pan and fry off the cinnamon (I used  at least a teaspoon because I love the stuff) and nutmeg (I grated about half of one). Then add the rice in and mix about. Wait until the rice is translucent to start adding warmed milk (I warmed mine in the microwave, I'd say you need at least two cups)



Make sure you don't have your pan on too hot, else the following happens...

and like the general idea of risotto you add a little bit more milk after the last lot has been soaked up, and you keep going like this until your rice is cooked to how you like it.

I like to serve with another glug of milk in the bowl because I like the cold-warm mix :)

So yummy and comforting to eat :) Still waiting to hear from Michael but we had a final phone call last night so I'm not worrying just yet! I am limited in what I can say and know though, so I won't be sharing a lot of what he's doing, just what I am whilst he's gone :)



No comments:

Post a Comment